What is the HESI Exam?
The HESI A2 exam is used for admission into the Dental Hygiene program.
- Reading Comprehension: reading scenarios, identifying main ideas, meanings of words, passage comprehensive, and logistical inferences
- Vocabulary & General Knowledge: terms used in general English speaking settings and health care field
- Grammar: basic grammar (parts of speech, terms and their uses, and grammatical errors)
- Math: basic math skills (math in health care field, addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, ratios, decimals, proportions, and house hold measures)
- Biology: water, molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc.
- Chemistry: Chemical equations and reactions, periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, and chemical bonding
- Anatomy & Physiology: general terminology, anatomical structures, and systems
- Learning Style: assess prefers learning styles
- Personality Profile: assess personality related to preferred learning style
Students are allotted four hours for the exam.
Students must score a minimum of 70 to apply to the Dental Hygiene program.
Score reports from other institutions may be accepted under the following conditions:
- All sections must be completed in a single test session
- Exam must be administered under a four hour time limit, unless an accommodation is approved
- The exam must be completed within two years of the date the program application is submitted
PHSC only administers the HESI A2 at the West Campus in New Port Richey at this time.
The HESI A2 is also offered at Prometric Test Centers if requested through Career and Testing Services.
$60.00 per administration
Students may take the exam twice in a twelve-month period. There is a six week waiting period between attempts.
- Only two attempts are permitted within a twelve month period (initial test and retake)
- Retakes may not be administered within six weeks of initial test
Please, follow the Dental Hygiene Program directions below to schedule your HESI HP Admissions Assessment (HP A2) at
- Register an account with Elsevier.
- Create a HESI account by logging onto Elsevier.
- Click on the LOGIN link at the top right of the screen to show the drop-down login fields.
- Click on Create Account under the Login button.
- A new window will open and select Student.
- Enter First Name and Last Name.
- Enter Email Address.
- Create a Password and confirm by entering it again.
- Select United States residency status.
- Click Submit to create account.
Register with PHSC Career and Testing Services
- Go schedule exam.
- Choose a test location: Testing Services - West Campus Test Center (New Port Richey)
- Choose exam: HESI HP Admissions Assessment (HP A2)
- Verify exam: HESI HP Admissions Assessment (HP A2)
- Select test date.
- Choose time.
- Enter Name and Email
- Check box to agree to follow guidelines.
- Enter Phone Number
- Click Add to Cart
- Click Complete Registration